[slurm-users] [External] slurmd: error: Node configuration differs from hardware: CPUs=24:48(hw) Boards=1:1(hw) SocketsPerBoard=2:2(hw)

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Thu Apr 23 21:53:29 UTC 2020

> I found a great mini script <https://serverfault.com/a/792264/359447> to
> disable hyperthreading without reboot. I did get the following warning but

Offlining half the hyperthreads is not the same thing as disabling HT.
HT is a fundamental mode of the CPU, and enabling it will statically
partition some hardware resources in the core.

> Side question, are there ways with Slurm to test if hyperthreading improves
> performance and job speed?

That's entirely application-specific.  Remember that HT doesn't
give you any additional resources: it just lets you fill pipeline bubbles.
(So only helps when the workload doesn't keep all resources busy.)

regards, mark hahn.