[slurm-users] pam_slurm_adopt seems not working properly under "configless" slurm mode

Haoyang Liu liuhaoyang at pku.edu.cn
Tue Apr 21 02:58:13 UTC 2020

Hello,

I am setting up the latest slurm-20.02-1 on my clusters and trying to configure the "configless" slurm on the compute nodes.
After following the instructions from https://slurm.schedmd.com/configless_slurm.html, both slurmctld and slurmd works fine.
The config files can be found at $SlurmdSpoolDir/conf-cache and /run/slurm/conf. However, when I try to ssh into some compute
node, say `comput6`,

$ ssh comput6

the prompt will be stuck for ~one minute and finally returns 'No Slurm jobs found on node'. Previously it should be
'Access denied by pam_slurm_adopt: you have no active jobs on this node'.

The issue can be reproduced on centos 6 and 7. I've checked /var/log/secure and noticed the following output:

comput6 pam_slurm_adopt[43672]: error: s_p_parse_file: unable to status file /usr/local/slurm/etc/slurm.conf: No such file or directory, retrying in 1sec up to 60sec

It seems that pam_slurm_adopt is still trying to find the config file in the default directory under the "configless" mode.
Creating a symlink in /usr/local/slurm/etc seems to be a workaround, but it seems moving away from the "configless" slurm.

Is there a better way to fix this?

Best regards,
Haoyang