[slurm-users] CentOS 7 CUDA 8.0 can't find plugin cons_tres

Lisa Kay Weihl lweihl at bgsu.edu
Thu Apr 16 19:00:03 UTC 2020

I have a standalone server with 4 GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. The purpose is to serve as a computer server for data science jobs. My department chair wants a job scheduler on it. I have installed SLURM (18.08.9). That works just fine in a basic configuration when I attempt to add Gres_Types gpu and then add Gres:gpu:4 to the end of the node description:

NodeName=cs-datasci CPUs=24 RealMemory=385405 Sockets=2 CoresPerSocket=6 ThreadsPerCore=2 State=UNKNOWN Gres=gpu:4

and then try to restart slurmd I get an error that it cannot find the plugin

slurmd: error: Couldn't find the specified plugin name for select/cons_tres looking at all files

slurmd: error: cannot find select plugin for select/cons_tres

slurmd: fatal: Can't find plugin for select/cons_tres

The system was prebuilt by AdvancedHPC with CentOS 7 and CUDA 8.0

I usually keep notes when I'm installing things but in this case I wasn't jotting things down as I went. I think I started with the instructions on this page: https://slurm.schedmd.com/quickstart_admin.html and went with the usual ./configure, make, make install.

I have a feeling maybe something did not work and I switched to the rpm packages based on some other web pages I saw because if I do a yum list installed | grep slurm I see a lot of pacakages. The problem is I was interrupted with other tasks and my memory was somewhat rusty when I came back to this.

When I went looking for this error I saw there were some issues with the newest SLURM and CUDA 10.2 but I didn't think that should be an issue because I was at CUDA 8.0.  Just in case I backed down to SLURM 18.

I'm willing to start all over if anyone thinks cleaning up and rebuilding will help that. I do see libraries in /etc/lib64/slurm but I also see 2 files in /usr/local/lib/slurm/src so I'm not sure if that's left over from trying to install from source.  All the daemons are in /usr/sbin and user commands in /usr/bin

I'm a newbie at this and very frustrated. Can anyone help?

Lisa Weihl Systems Administrator

Computer Science, Bowling Green State University
Tel: (419) 372-0116   |    Fax: (419) 372-8061
lweihl at bgsu.edu
www.bgsu.edu​