[slurm-users] Heterogeneous HPC

Thomas M. Payerle payerle at umd.edu
Thu Sep 19 13:22:42 UTC 2019

While I agree containers can be quite useful in HPC environments for
dealing with applications requiring
different library versions, there are limitations.  In particular, the
kernel inside the container is the same
as running outside the container.  Where this seems to be most
problematic is when trying to use containers
based on a much newer OS distribution than the distribution of the
containing system.  I.e., one of our clusters
is still running RHEL6, and while containers based on Ubuntu 16,
Debian 8, or RHEL7 all appear to work properly,
containers based on Ubuntu 18 or Debian 9 will die with "Kernel too
old" errors.  (Basically, the glibc in those
distros require a newer kernel than shipped with RHEL6).  VMs should
not experience those issues, as the
kernel running in the VM need not be the same kernel as running in the
host system.

But I have found containers helpful (we use Singularity), particularly
for applications.  Not as useful for software libraries,
as those tend to not want to be "self-contained" and containers are
all about "self-contained".

I am unaware of a container image for Matlab, but I suspect that is
more due to licensing/support than technical issues.
You could probably build a Matlab container based on some Mathworks
supported distribution and run on a distribution
not supported by Mathworks, but I doubt Mathworks would be willing to
provide support for that mode of operation.

--
Tom Payerle
DIT-ACIGS/Mid-Atlantic Crossroads        payerle at umd.edu
5825 University Research Park               (301) 405-6135
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20740-3831