[slurm-users] Heterogeneous HPC

Christoph Brüning christoph.bruening at uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Sep 19 10:16:45 UTC 2019

Dear Mahmood,

Docker is somewhat tricky, because it needs a daemon running and there
is no fine grained control over who is allowed to start and stop
containers. Also getting the container on the node can be unpleasant
(docker hub? private registry? build docker containers on the node
before running them?). I would recommend against it!

However, there are projects like Singularity or Charliecloud designed to
bring the "bring your own environment" idea to HPC.

We have Singularity installed, and some of our users use it. It seems to
work reasonably well, as I have heard no complaint except that the
available version is somewhat outdated...

Best,
Christoph

--
Dr. Christoph Brüning