[slurm-users] slurm node weights

Douglas Duckworth dod2014 at med.cornell.edu
Thu Sep 5 15:48:59 UTC 2019

Hello

We added some newer Epyc nodes, with NVMe scratch, to our cluster and so want jobs to run on these over others.  So we added "Weight=100" to the older nodes and left the new ones blank.  So indeed, ceteris paribus, srun reveals that the faster nodes will accept jobs over older ones.

We have the desired outcome though I am a bit confused by two statements in the manpage<https://slurm.schedmd.com/slurm.conf.html> that seem to be contradictory:

"All things being equal, jobs will be allocated the nodes with the lowest weight which satisfies their requirements."

"...larger weights should be assigned to nodes with more processors, memory, disk space, higher processor speed, etc."

100 is larger than 1 and we do see jobs preferring the new nodes which have the default weight of 1.  Yet we're also told to assign larger weights to faster nodes?

Thanks!
Doug

--
Thanks,