[slurm-users] How can jobs request a minimum available (free) TmpFS disk space?

Juergen Salk juergen.salk at uni-ulm.de
Tue Sep 3 13:58:05 UTC 2019

* Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk> [190903 11:14]:

> How do you dynamically update your gres=localtmp resource according to the
> current disk free space?  I mean, there is already a TmpFS disk space size
> defined in slurm.conf, so how does your gres=localtmp differ from TmpFS?

Dear Ole,

I think (but please correct me, if I'm wrong) the `TmpDisk=xxxxxxxxx´
disk space size defined in slurm.conf is just a fixed node property.
Thus, specifying e.g. `--tmp=1000000´ does prevent a job from
allocating a node that has less than 1000000 MB disk size configured
in slurm.conf but does not count against the amount of disk space that
is left available for other jobs on that nodes. In other words:
TmpDisk does not seem to work like a consumable resource and
`--tmp=1000000´ does not seem to behave like a consumable resource
allocation, whereas a GRES based specification for local scratch space
does.

At least that's how I understood the documentation. Did I get this
wrong?

Best regards
Jürgen

--
Jürgen Salk
Scientific Software & Compute Services (SSCS)