[slurm-users] How can jobs request a minimum available (free) TmpFS disk space?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Mon Sep 2 18:02:57 UTC 2019

We have some users requesting that a certain minimum size of the
*Available* (i.e., free) TmpFS disk space should be present on nodes
before a job should be considered by the scheduler for a set of nodes.

I believe that the "sbatch --tmp=size" option merely refers to the TmpFS
file system *Size* as configured in slurm.conf, and this is *not* what
users need.

For example, a job might require 50 GB of *Available disk space* on the
TmpFS file system, which may however have only 20 GB out of 100 GB
*Available* as shown by the df command, the rest having been consumed by
other jobs (present or past).

However, when we do "scontrol show node <nodename>", only the TmpFS file
system *Size* is displayed as a "TmpDisk" number, but not the
*Available* number.

Question: How can we get slurmd to report back to the scheduler the
amount of *Available* disk space?  And how can users specify the minimum
*Available* disk space required by their jobs submitted by "sbatch"?

If this is not feasible, are there other techniques that achieve the
same goal?  We're currently still at Slurm 18.08.

Thanks,
Ole

--
Ole Holm Nielsen