[slurm-users] jobacct_gather/linux vs jobacct_gather/cgroup

Christopher Benjamin Coffey Chris.Coffey at nau.edu
Tue Oct 29 15:05:40 UTC 2019

Hi Marcus, yes we are talking about the jobacct_gather/cgroup plugin. Yes, if you want cgroups you need:

ProctrackType=proctrack/cgroup
TaskPlugin=task/cgroup,task/affinity

But that doesn't mean you have to run the jobacct_gather/cgroup plugin, you have the option to use jobacct_gather/linux instead. Per the devs at SLUG19, they say the linux version has less overhead than the cgroup variant. I made a switch in production and haven't really seen any differences except for seeing extra info on the extern step which is a bonus I guess.

It would be nice to have some more clarification from other sites, or devs on this.

Best,
Chris

--
Christopher Coffey