[slurm-users] tie a reservation to a QoS?

Tina Friedrich tina.friedrich at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 28 15:11:03 UTC 2019

Hello,

is there a possibility to tie a reservation to a QoS (instead of an
account or user), or enforce a QoS for jobs submitted into a reservation?

The problem I'm trying to solve is - some of our resources are bought on
a co-investment basis. As part of that, the 'owning' group can get very
high scheduling priority (via a QoS) on an equivalent amount of
resource. Additionally, they have a number of reservations for 'their'
nodes they can request per year. However, that lends itself to gaming
the system - they can now submit jobs into the reservation with 'normal'
priority, and then run jobs on the rest of the cluster using the higher
priority - really not the plan.

Basically, I need a way to ensure that - even when a reservation is in
place - those groups 'use up' their priority resources first & then all
other jobs they submit are run with 'lower' priority.

I'm currently dealing with it by modifying the QoS every time a
reservation is created. But that isn't really sustainable on an ongoing
basis - this isn't a one-off for one group, it's part of our operations
model, and there's a (growing) number of them.

One (easy) way I can see is if I had a way to ensure you can not use a
reservation without using the resp. priority QoS - however, from my
reading of the docs there's no way to do that. (As only the one account
has access to the QoS, being able to tie a reservation to a QoS would
sort of solve my problem :) ).

Any ideas? The only thing I can come up involves a lot of scripting, and
it would certainly not be a bit error prone (and not the most flexible).

Tina