[slurm-users] understanding resource reservations

Christopher Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Mon Oct 21 23:01:32 UTC 2019

On 10/21/19 3:05 PM, c b wrote:

> 1) It looks like there's a way to create a daily recurring reservation
> by specifying "flags=daily" .  How would I make a regular reservation
> for weekdays only?

flags=WEEKDAY       Repeat the reservation at the same time on every
weekday (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday).

> 2) When a node enters a reservation period, is it like going into the
> DRAIN state where currently running jobs will be allowed to finish but
> no new ones will be started, or will any currently running jobs just be
> killed?  And would the behavior be different if I'm reserving entire
> machines versus reserving a few cores?

Jobs aren't allowed to run into the reservation, so if their time limit
would overrun they won't be allowed to start.

> 3) If I have jobs that I know will take a long time to run, I'd want to
> keep them from being started on a machine that's about to be reserved.
> Are there any flags I can set on the jobs to do this?

They should never be allowed into the reservation in the first place, so
I think you should be fine.

All the best!
Chris
--