[slurm-users] Sacct selecting jobs outside range

Bjørn-Helge Mevik b.h.mevik at usit.uio.no
Thu Oct 17 07:48:02 UTC 2019

Brian Andrus <toomuchit at gmail.com> writes:

> When running a report to try and get jobs that start during a particular
> day, sacct is returning a number of jobs that show as starting/ending
> outside the range.
> What could cause this?

sacct selects jobs that were eligible to run (including actually
running) between --starttime and --endtime.  (If you add --state, it will
select jobs that were in that state between the times.)

So _any_ job that were running between --starttime and --endtime will be
listed, even if it started before --starttime and/or ended after
--endtime.

Basically, you can think of [--starttime, --endtime] as a window in
time, and sacct will list the jobs that were in the requested state(s)
sometime inside that window.  It will not care in which states the jobs
were outside the window.

At least, this is how I have come to think of it.  IMHO, the sacct
manual is a bit difficult to understand sometimes.

--
Regards,
Bjørn-Helge Mevik, dr. scient,