[slurm-users] Slurm very rarely assigned an estimated start time to a job

David Baker D.J.Baker at soton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 2 15:50:03 UTC 2019

Hello.,

I have just started to take a look at Slurm v19* with a view to an upgrade (most likely in the next year). My reaction is that Slurm very rarely provides an estimated start time for a job. I understand that this is not possible for jobs on hold and dependent jobs. On the other hand I've just submitted a set of simple test jobs to our development cluster, and I see that none of the queued jobs have an estimated start time. These jobs haven't been queuing for too long (30 minutes or so). That is...

[root at headnode-1 slurm]# squeue --start
             JOBID PARTITION     NAME     USER ST          START_TIME  NODES SCHEDNODES           NODELIST(REASON)
                12     batch    myjob  hpcdev1 PD                 N/A      1 (null)               (Resources)
                13     batch    myjob  hpcdev1 PD                 N/A      1 (null)               (Resources)
                14     batch    myjob  hpcdev1 PD                 N/A      1 (null)               (Resources)
                15     batch    myjob  hpcdev1 PD                 N/A      1 (null)               (Resources)
etc

Is this what others see or are there any recommended configurations/tips/tricks to make sure that slurm provides estimates? Any advice would be appreciated, please.

Best regards,
David