[slurm-users] Environment modules

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 02:18:19 UTC 2019

I never understood the benefit of lmod vs environment modules, although
I see a push to use lmod. Particularly for versioning, but I always
managed versions by using directory hierarchies. For instance, OpenMPI:

mpi/openmpi/3.2.3
mpi/openmpi/4.0.2

Then set a conflict on the top path (mpi/openmpi), which forces only one
version to be able to be loaded. I also set paths so specific versions
of libraries become available depending on what environment you select
(gcc vs intel for example).

Is there something besides versioning that lmod shines at?

Brian Andrus