[slurm-users] Help with preemtion based on licenses

Oytun Peksel Oytun.Peksel at semcon.com
Thu Nov 7 07:48:09 UTC 2019

Thank you all for your input.
Being a newbie in this, my impression from what you guys write is  for most commercial software suspend/release_license/reacquire mechanism is not feasible.

(Answer to Mark)
What we are using here is an engineering software called abaqus. In abaqus you can use token based licenses which depend on number of cores used (and some other things). It checks out the license on submission from a flex license server, and if it gets suspended it releases the licenses. Then another instance can use the released tokens. If the initially suspended instance somehow resumed then it cannot start unless there are enough tokens.

I have had no problems with this mechanism really.  It works pretty well if  I do not attempt to track licenses with slurm.

I claim:  since Slurm doesn't really integrate with license servers and it is pretty much up to admin,  it should not assume that all licenses are not releasable.

Another thing puzzles me is :
AccountingStorageTRES=license/someSoftware

I would expect this to track the licenses defined either in slurm.conf or in sacctmgr. But it does not.

When I do :

scontrol show job

it does not show any licenses in the output:

TRES=cpu=23,mem=23G,node=1,billing=23

Or sacct --format=tres
Shows just the default trackable resources.

Oytun Peksel
oytun.peksel at semcon.com
Mobile   +46739205917