[slurm-users] Node weight / Job Preemption

Mike Harvey harvey at bucknell.edu
Wed May 29 12:53:53 UTC 2019

I am relatively new to SLURM, and am having difficulty configuring our
scheduling to behave as we'd like.

Partition based job preemption is configured as follows:

PreemptType=preempt/partition_prio
PreemptMode=suspend,gang

This has been working fine. However, we recently added an older server
to the cluster, and tried to give it a higher weight than our other
servers, with the intent that it would only used when resources on other
lower-weighted nodes are unavailable. What seems to happen, though, is
that a newly submitted job will preempt/suspend a lower-priority job on
a lower-weighted node before running on the higher-weighted node. What
we would like is for preemption to only occur when no resources are
available.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Mike Harvey