[slurm-users] Backfill advice

Douglas Jacobsen dmjacobsen at lbl.gov
Sat Mar 23 13:30:46 UTC 2019

Hello,

At first blush bf_continue and bf_interval as well as bf_maxjobs (if I
remembered the parameter correctly) are critical first steps in tuning.
Setting DebugFlags=backfill is essential to getting the needed data to make
tuning decisions.

Use of per user/account settings if they are too low can also cause
starvation depending on the way your priority calculation is set up.

I presented these slides a few years ago ag the slurm user group on this
topic:
https://slurm.schedmd.com/SLUG16/NERSC.pdf

The key thing to keep in mind with large jobs is that slurm needs to
evaluate them again and again in the same order or the scheduled time may
drift.  Thus it is important that once jobs are getting planning
reservations they must continue to do so.

Because of the prevalence of large jobs at our site we use
 bf_min_prio_resv which splits the priority space into a reserving and
non-reserving set, and then use job age to allow jobs to age from the non
reserving portion of the priority space to the reservation portion.  Use of
the recent MaxJobsAccruePerUser limits on a job qos can throttle the rate
of jobs aging and prevent negative effects from users submitting large
numbers of jobs.

I realize that is a large number of tunables and concepts densely packed,
but it should give you some reasonable starting points.

Doug

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile