[slurm-users] Database Tuning w/SLURM
Ole Holm Nielsen
Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Fri Mar 22 08:22:44 UTC 2019
On 3/21/19 6:56 PM, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
>> On Mar 21, 2019, at 12:21 PM, Loris Bennett <loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> Our last cluster only hit around 2.5 million jobs after
>> around 6 years, so database conversion was never an issue. For sites
>> with a higher-throughput things may be different, but I would hope that
>> at those places, the managers would know the importance of planned
>> updates and testing.
> I’d be curious about any database tuning you might have done, or anyone else here. SchedMD’s guidance is minimal.
> I’ve ever been impressed with the performance on ours, and I’ve also seen other sites reporting >24 hour database conversion times.
Database tuning is actually documented by SchedMD, but you have to find
the appropriate pages first ;-)
I have collected Slurm database information in my Wiki page
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/Slurm_database. You may want to
focus on these sections:
* MySQL configuration (Innodb configuration)
* Setting database purge parameters (prune unwanted old database entries)
* Backup and restore of database (hopefully everyone does this already)
* Upgrade of MySQL/MariaDB (MySQL versions)
* Migrate the slurmdbd service to another server (I decided to do that
I hope this sheds some light on what needs to be considered.
More information about the slurm-users