[slurm-users] Error when the stdout or stderror path does not exist

Andrés Marín Díaz amarin at cesvima.upm.es
Wed Mar 20 12:36:14 UTC 2019

Hello,

When I redefine the stdout or stderror to files into a folder that does
not exist the job fails instead of creating the folder

I do not know if it is the expected behavior and if so, if it can be
changed (with some config parameter or environment variable).

I have another installation of slurm (although it is old and very
different) in which if the folder of the output files does not exist it
is created and the work continues.

I use the latest stable version of SLURM.
This is the jobfile:

     #!/bin/bash
     #SBATCH -n 1
     #SBATCH --output=tonton/%j.out
     echo "HELLO WORLD"

And these error messages in the node where the job runs:
     Mar 20 11:45:27 r1n101 slurmstepd[53842]: error: Could not open
stdout file /tmp/tonton/1618.out: No such file or directory
     Mar 20 11:45:27 r1n101 slurmstepd[53842]: error: IO setup failed:
No such file or directory
     Mar 20 11:45:27 r1n101 slurmstepd[53842]: job 1618 completed with
slurm_rc = 0, job_rc = 256

Thanks.

--
  Andrés Marín Díaz

  Servicio de Infraestructura e Innovación
  Universidad Politécnica de Madrid

  Centro de Supercomputación y Visualización de Madrid (CeSViMa)
  Campus de Montegancedo. 28223, Pozuelo de Alarcón, Madrid (ES)
  amarin at cesvima.upm.es | tel 910679676

  www.cesvima.upm.es | www.twitter.com/cesvima | www.fb.com/cesvima