[slurm-users] How to force jobs to run next in queue

Bjørn-Helge Mevik b.h.mevik at usit.uio.no
Tue Mar 12 07:43:29 UTC 2019

Sean Brisbane <sean.brisbane at securelinx.com> writes:

> I'm trying to troubleshoot why the highest priority job is not next to run,
> jobs in the partition called "Priority" seem to run first.

[...]
> The partition called "Priority" has a priority boost assigned through qos.
>
> PartitionName=Priority Nodes=compute[01-02]  Default=NO MaxTime=INFINITE
> State=UP Priority=1000 QOS=Priority
> PartitionName=Background Nodes=compute[01-02]   Default=YES
> MaxTime=INFINITE State=UP Priority=10
>
> Any Ideas would be much appreciated.

I suggest you look at the discussion of the partition settings
PriorityJobFactor and PriorityTier in slurm.conf, which supersede the
Priority setting.  I saw an explanation of why they did the change, but
cannot remember where right now (sorry, it's early in the morning here
:), but *if* I remember right, it went something like this: "Priority
didn't do what one would expect, it changed the order of how the partitions
that were scheduled which overruled the jobs' priority."  This is what
PriorityTier does, so you might want to try using PriorityJobFactor
instead of Priority.

--
Regards,
Bjørn-Helge Mevik, dr. scient,