[slurm-users] Migrate the slurmdbd service to another server

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Mon Mar 4 13:15:55 UTC 2019

On 3/4/19 1:27 PM, Paul Edmon wrote:
> That should work.

It did work as expected :-)

> The upgrade though will have to wait until the dbd is actually on a different server.

Yes, that's the whole point of first migrating slurmdbd to a different
server!  Upgrading the Slurm RPMs on the slurmdbd server from 17.11 to
18.08 consequently doesn't impact the running slurmctld.  I did so this
morning without any troubles at all.

> We run the ctld and dbd on the same machine here for the sake of performance.  Before the rpm reorg we used to upgrade only the dbd first and then the ctld but with the reorg I'm taking a downtime for the dbd upgrade.  That's not too bad though as we pause all our jobs out of paranoia for upgrades.

My strategy is to avoid any downtime at all = lost productivity.

/Ole