[slurm-users] Manage access to specialized nodes: Reservation, Queue, or Features

E.M. Dragowsky dragowsky at case.edu
Tue Jun 18 18:30:24 UTC 2019

Greetings --

We're running Slurm 17.02.2.

   - We have implemented OnDemand in our cluster, including the Jupyter app
   across all the compute nodes. The Interactive Desktop application, however,
   is installed on a small set of compute nodes during an extended validation
   period. Installation and initial testing were conducted by setting these 5
   nodes aside using a reservation. Testing was limited by setting specific
   accounts and users.
   These nodes are now ready for validation by all cluster account holders.
   I had hoped to adjust the reservation to continue for the general
testing (*I
   want to prioritize use of these nodes for the desktop app*). I am
   finding that the reservation can be modified to set either Users=(null), or
   Accounts=(null); but not both.

   - [mrd20 at hpc3 reservations]$ scontrol show res
   ReservationName=ood-interactive StartTime=2019-04-19T16:13:34
   EndTime=2155-05-26T22:40:50 Duration=49710-06:27:16
   Nodes=compt[162-166] NodeCnt=5 CoreCnt=80 Features=(null)
   PartitionName=batch Flags=SPEC_NODES
   TRES=cpu=80
   Users=sxg125,hxd58,nxy98,stm,mrd20,axa335,sxa641,yuh2,nxp278,jas613,gxs372,axw474,lxx97,zzz6,oxd37,lxl477,cxd239,sxg881
   Accounts=(null) Licenses=(null) State=ACTIVE BurstBuffer=(null) Watts=n/a

   Is there a work-around? I had merely tried:
   > sudo scontrol update reservation=ood-interactive Users=
   an analog of the command used to set 'Accounts=' to null.

*Is there a workaround to open a reservation to all users and accounts?*

Contextual digression:
I'm realizing that a reservation is not the ideal long-term control method.
We are a bit ambivalent about installing the desktop software as part of
our provisioning.

My short-term workaround is to catalog our most active accounts, set
'Accounts=<top-50-active-accounts>' and set Users null, Then promote the
service for evaluation, adding further accounts by request.

Am I being *too* short-sighted in persisting with a reservation to control
access to these nodes? We may  implement the service through a separate
queue if we decide to restrict the desktop app software to just a limited
number of nodes. I haven't yet thought of a way to prioritize availability
through setting a feature, since it's my perception that OnDemand is only
successful if requested resources become available with only a short delay
(~5 min or so).

Thanks
~ Em
--