[slurm-users] increasing timelimit on array jobs no longer supported?

Jacob Jenson jacob at schedmd.com
Thu Jun 13 14:25:40 UTC 2019

Bill,

You can always set the time limit on a job array to a specific value:
# scontrol update jobid=123 timelimit=45

You can also increment the time limit on a job array that is still in a
single job record. Separate job records are spit off as needed, say when a
task starts or an attempt is made to schedule the task. You can determine
if a job array has more than one record with this command:
# scontrol show job 123

If more than one record is reported, the update of time limit will not
work. If a single record, then it can be updated as shown in his example:
# scontrol update jobid=123 timelimit=+45

If the job has already been split into multiple records, then each task has
to be updated individually:
# scontrol update jobid=123_1 timelimit=+45
# scontrol update jobid=123_2 timelimit=+45

Note this logic is 5 years old. My guess is you didn't notice this because
the job array was previously in a single record. For now, try to set a new
time limit rather than increment the time limit. SchedMD will update the
documentation to reflect this.

Jacob