[slurm-users] Random "sbatch" failure: "Socket timed out on send/recv operation"

Marcelo Garcia Marcelo.Garcia at EMEA.NEC.COM
Tue Jun 11 13:56:34 UTC 2019

Hi

Since mid-March 2019 we are having a strange problem with slurm. Sometimes, the command "sbatch" fails:

+ sbatch -o /home2/mma002/ecf/home/Aos/Prod/Main/Postproc/Lfullpos/50.1 -p operw /home2/mma002/ecf/home/Aos/Prod/Main/Postproc/Lfullpos/50.job1
sbatch: error: Batch job submission failed: Socket timed out on send/recv operation

Ecflow runs preprocessing on the script which generates a second script that is submitted to slurm. In our case, the submission script is called "42.job1".

The problem we have is that sometimes, the "sbatch" command fails with the message above. We couldn't find any hint on the logs. Hardware and software logs are clean. I increased the debug level of slurm, to
# scontrol show config
(..._)
SlurmctldDebug          = info

But still not glue about what is happening. Maybe the next thing to try is to use "sdiag" to inspect the server. Another complication is that the problem is random, so we put "sdiag" in a cronjob? Is there a better way to run "sdiag" periodically?

Thnaks for your attention.

Best Regards

mg.