[slurm-users] Slurm tarball numbering vs RPM numbering for first release tarballs.

Kevin Buckley Kevin.Buckley at pawsey.org.au
Mon Jun 10 04:40:20 UTC 2019

This actually just tripped me up on a Cray, but I belive the observation
is still worthy of discussion.

If I take the

  slurm-19.05.0.tar.bz2

tarball from the SchedMD download site, and then do a direct RPM
build on it, so

  rpmbuild -ta  slurm-19.05.0.tar.bz2

what I end up generating are the following RPMs

slurm-19.05.0-1.x86_64.rpm
slurm-contribs-19.05.0-1.x86_64.rpm
slurm-devel-19.05.0-1.x86_64.rpm
slurm-example-configs-19.05.0-1.x86_64.rpm
slurm-libpmi-19.05.0-1.x86_64.rpm
slurm-openlava-19.05.0-1.x86_64.rpm
slurm-pam_slurm-19.05.0-1.x86_64.rpm
slurm-perlapi-19.05.0-1.x86_64.rpm
slurm-slurmctld-19.05.0-1.x86_64.rpm
slurm-slurmd-19.05.0-1.x86_64.rpm
slurm-slurmdbd-19.05.0-1.x86_64.rpm
slurm-torque-19.05.0-1.x86_64.rpm

where I note the extra "-1" that's crept in to the RPM names.

Going back through the tarball history (yes, I've kept a lot
of then) suggests that, were there to be a "-2" release of
slurm 19.05.0, then the tarball name would be

  slurm-19.05.0-2.tar.bz2

and that it would then match the name of the generated RPMs.

Is there anything, other than a tacit admission that there may
sometimes need to be a "-2" or greater revision of any given
release, preventing  SchedMD from distributng the first tarball
in a release with the "-1" revision in the tarball name ?

Kevin

--
Supercomputing Systems Administrator
Pawsey Supercomputing Centre