[slurm-users] Submit job using srun fails but sbatch works

Alexander Åhman alexander at ydesign.se
Mon Jun 3 14:53:39 UTC 2019

That was my first thought too, but... no. Both /etc/hosts (not used) and
slurm.conf are identical on all nodes, both working and non-working nodes.

_From login machine:_
[alex at li1 ~]$ srun --nodelist=cn7 ping -c 1 cn7
srun: job 1118071 queued and waiting for resources
srun: job 1118071 has been allocated resources
srun: error: fwd_tree_thread: can't find address for host cn7, check
slurm.conf
srun: error: Task launch for 1118071.0 failed on node cn7: Can't find an
address, check slurm.conf
srun: error: Application launch failed: Can't find an address, check
slurm.conf
srun: Job step aborted: Waiting up to 32 seconds for job step to finish.
srun: error: Timed out waiting for job step to complete

_From slurmctld machine:_
[root at cmgr1 ~]# srun --nodelist=cn7 ping -c 1 cn7
srun: job 1118076 queued and waiting for resources
srun: job 1118076 has been allocated resources
PING cn7.ydesign.se (10.28.3.137) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from cn7.ydesign.se (10.28.3.137): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.012 ms

--- cn7.ydesign.se ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms

I guess that some state file somewhere got corrupted. Think the new
mission will be to try to reset the correct state file and try again or
if that fails - clean it with fire! ;-)

Regards,
Alexander Åhman