[slurm-users] Cannot start slurmctld

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Mon Jun 3 08:01:41 UTC 2019

Dear Priya,

Priya Mishra <26priya11 at gmail.com> writes:

> I am installing slurm on Ubuntu-18.04. After following the
> instructions for building and installing slurm given on the website I
> get the following error when I try to start slurmctld: Failed to
> enable unit, unit slurmctld.service does not exist.  Are there any
> other steps to be followed in addition to the ones provided on the
> website?  Thanks!

It would be helpful if you mentioned which version of Slurm you are
trying to install.  Ubuntu 18.04 uses systemd rather than init to start
services, but older versions of Slurm (< 17.xx?) only provided configuration
files for init.  Newer versions of Slurm now support (only?) systemd.

So it sound like you are trying to install a version of Slurm which is
too old for your operating system, but this is just a fairly wild guess.

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)