[slurm-users] Unexpected MPI process distribution with the --exclusive flag

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 15:03:59 UTC 2019

I think this may be more on how you are calling mpirun and the mapping
of processes.

With the "--exclusive" option, the processes are given access to all the
cores on each box, so mpirun has a choice. IIRC, the default is to pack
them by slot, so fill one node, then move to the next. Whereas you want
to map by node (one process per node cycling by node)

 From the man for mpirun (openmpi):

*--map-by <foo>*
    Map to the specified object, defaults to/socket/. Supported options
    include slot, hwthread, core, L1cache, L2cache, L3cache, socket,
    numa, board, node, sequential, distance, and ppr. Any object can
    include modifiers by adding a : and any combination of PE=n (bind n
    processing elements to each proc), SPAN (load balance the processes
    across the allocation), OVERSUBSCRIBE (allow more processes on a
    node than processing elements), and NOOVERSUBSCRIBE. This includes
    PPR, where the pattern would be terminated by another colon to
    separate it from the modifiers.

so adding "--map-by node" would give you what you are looking for.
Of course, this syntax is for Openmpi's mpirun command, so YMMV
Brian Andrus