[slurm-users] Backfill CPU jobs on GPU nodes

Barbara Krašovec barbara.krasovec at ijs.si
Fri Jul 19 07:11:26 UTC 2019

You could limit the resources with the QOS. It is not per node, but you
have some options:

https://slurm.schedmd.com/qos.html#limits

Otherwise you could just enforce the limits per partition and put weight
on the nodes, so that the CPU nodes are allocated before the GPU nodes.

Have you checked the GPU scheduling in SLURM 19? It's much more
flexible. This is copied from the release notes:

>   -- Add select/cons_tres plugin, which offers similar functionality to cons_res
>      with far greater GPU scheduling flexibility.
>   -- Add GPU scheduling options to slurm.conf, available both globally and
>      per-partition: DefCpusPerGPU and DefMemPerGPU.
>   -- Add GPU scheduling options for salloc, sbatch and srun:
>     --cpus-per-gpu, -G/--gpus, --gpu-bind, --gpu-freq, --gpus-per-node,
>     --gpus-per-socket, --gpus-per-task and --mem-per-gpu.

We use gres for GPUs and backfill and have no problems running both CPU
and GPU jobs on the node.

Cheers,

Barbara