[slurm-users] Job not running of the specified node

Marcus Wagner wagner at itc.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Jul 9 13:43:59 UTC 2019

Hi mahmood,

yes that is totally normal.

please use sbatch instead of salloc.

If you use salloc, you just create an allocation. You would normally
srun to that allocation.

To be clear, salloc does not create a batchjob, which gets executed on
the remote host. After salloc returns (which might take a while, if your
cluster is full), you are still on the login node, but have a
"reservation" for the asked resources.
You will see, that your environment is "poisened" with additional env
variables. So, I would strongly recommend to use different terminals, if
you would like to have parallel allocations opened by salloc. srun would
then use these env variables to get onto the right node (if I remember
right).

What you want to do, is create a batchscript, submit it to the
scheduler, such that the jobs gets executed on the host as soon as there
are free resources.
This is done via "sbatch run.sh", not salloc run.sh.

Best
Marcus

--
Marcus Wagner, Dipl.-Inf.