[slurm-users] Requirement to run longer jobs

Thomas M. Payerle payerle at umd.edu
Wed Jul 3 19:05:20 UTC 2019

The dual QoSes (or dual partition solution suggested by someone else)
should both work in allow select users to submit jobs with longer run
times.  We use something like that on our cluster (though I confess it was
our first Slurm cluster and we might have overdid it with QoSes causing
scheduler to work harder).  But for simple case you have, only downside I
see is potential extra work in creating user associations, etc., which is
not a problem if scripted.

I am not sure if either would work in extending run time of running jobs,
though I expect it might be possible with QoS approach.  (I think it is far
more likely to be able to change QoS of a running job than the partition,
even if both partitions consist of the same set of nodes).  Also not sure
if user can do that or if it would require sysadmin involvement.

--
Tom Payerle
DIT-ACIGS/Mid-Atlantic Crossroads        payerle at umd.edu
5825 University Research Park               (301) 405-6135
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20740-3831