[slurm-users] Requirement to run longer jobs

David Baker D.J.Baker at soton.ac.uk
Wed Jul 3 15:49:44 UTC 2019

Hello,

A few of our users have asked about running longer jobs on our cluster. Currently our main/default compute partition has a time limit of 2.5 days. Potentially, a handful of users need jobs to run up to 5 hours. Rather than allow all users/jobs to have a run time limit of 5 days I wondered if the following scheme makes sense...

Increase the max run time on the default partition to be 5 days, however limit most users to a max of 2.5 days using the default "normal" QOS.

Create a QOS called "long" with a max time limit of 5 days. Limit the user who can use "long". For authorized users assign "long" QOS to their jobs on basis of run time request.

Does the above make sense or is it too complicated? If the above works could users limited to using the normal QOS have their running jobs run time increased to 5 days in exceptional circumstances?

I would be interested in your thoughts, please.

Best regards,

David