[slurm-users] Slurms nodes over VPN?

rapier rapier at psc.edu
Thu Jan 17 21:24:03 UTC 2019

Hi, I'm still in the process of understanding slurm but I was hoping
someone might have an answer for this.

We've a pretty specific use case where we want to have slurm nodes
connected to a slurm controller via VPN. The IPs are assigned to nodes
via OpenVPN.

So is possible to define nodes with out a hostname? Can we arbitrarily
make up a NodeName on the controller even if the host itself is unaware
of that name and refer to it specifically by the IP address?

For example

NodeName=ThisIsntReal1 NodeAddr=10.8.0.2
NodeName=ThisIsntReal2 NodeAddr=10.8.0.3
NodeName=ThisIsntReal3 NodeAddr=10.8.0.4

Or is there some known and understood way to do something like this that
might be documented somewhere?