[slurm-users] Larger jobs tend to get starved out on our cluster

Christopher Benjamin Coffey Chris.Coffey at nau.edu
Thu Jan 10 09:52:42 MST 2019

Hi D.J.,

I noticed you have:

PriorityFlags=DEPTH_OBLIVIOUS,SMALL_RELATIVE_TO_TIME,FAIR_TREE

I'm pretty sure it does not makes sense to have depth oblivious, and fair tree set at the same time. You'll want to choose one of them. That’s not going to be reason for the issue however, but you are likely not running the fairshare algorithm that was intended.

"My colleague is from a Moab background, and in that respect he was
    > surprised not to see nodes being reserved for jobs, but it could be
    > that Slurm works in a different way to try to make efficient use of
    > the cluster by backfilling more aggressively than Moab."

Slurm unfortunately does not indicate when nodes are being put aside for large jobs. I wish that it did. Nodes will instead be in "idle" state when prepping for a large job.

To increase the possibility of more whole nodes being available for large MPI jobs to get them started faster, you might consider the following parameters:

SelectTypeParameters=CR_Pack_Nodes

And

SchedulerParameters=pack_serial_at_end, bf_busy_nodes

Also, as Loris pointed out, bf_window will need to be set to the max wall time in minutes.

Best,
Chris

—
Christopher Coffey