[slurm-users] Kinda Off-Topic: data management for Slurm clusters

Matthew BETTINGER matthew.bettinger at external.total.com
Fri Feb 22 20:44:41 UTC 2019

We stuck avere between Isilon and a cluster to get us over the hump until next budget cycle ... then we replaced with spectrascale for mid level storage.  Still use lustre of course as scratch.

On 2/22/19, 12:24 PM, "slurm-users on behalf of Will Dennis" <slurm-users-bounces at lists.schedmd.com on behalf of wdennis at nec-labs.com> wrote:

    (replies inline)

    On Friday, February 22, 2019 1:03 PM, Alex Chekholko said:

    >Hi Will,
    >
    >If your bottleneck is now your network, you may want to upgrade the network.  Then the disks will become your bottleneck :)

    Via network bandwidth analysis, it's not really network that's the problem... It’s the NFS/disk I/O...

    >For GPU training-type jobs that load the same set of data over and over again, local node SSD is a good solution.  Especially with the dropping SSD prices.

    Good to hear :)

    >For an example architecture, take a look at the DDN "AI" or IBM "AI" solutions. I think they generally take a storage box with lots of flash storage and connect it via 2 or 4 100Gb links to something like an nvidia DGX (compute node with 8 GPU).  Presumably they are doing mostly small file reads.
    >
    >In my case, I have whitebox compute nodes with GPUs and SSDs and whitebox ZFS servers connected at 40GbE.  A fraction of the performance at a fraction of the price.

    Same here, but connected at only 10G... Again, no budget (as of yet, anyhow) to do 25/40/50/100G network or all-flash storage :(