[slurm-users] Only one socket for SLURM

Sam Hawarden sam.hawarden at otago.ac.nz
Thu Feb 21 21:00:52 UTC 2019

Hi GestiĆ³,

To reliably load down 32 cores and view it:

[user at headnode] srun -c 32 -t 10 --pty $SHELL

[user at worknode] stress -c 32 -vm 32&

[user at worknode] htop; fg

^C

You can view a task's CPU affinity by pressing a in htop if stress isn't consuming all the cores.

You will need to make sure you have set TaskPlugin=affinity (or cgroups) in your slurm.conf so processes are constrained to a given set of CPUs.

Linux assigns numbers to your CPUs. 0-15 will be socket 1, thread 1. 16-31 are socket 2, thread 1, 32-47 are socket 1, thread 2. 48-63 are socket 2, thread 2. Slurm will use the first N CPUs.

If your current configuration isn't using all of, but only the first socket, you could try:

Boards=1 SocketsPerBoard=1 CoresPerSocket=32 ThreadsPerCore=1

But I thing you might be stuck with half of each or starting slurmd with a set affinity mask via taskset.

Kind regards,

   Sam

Sam Hawarden
Assistant Research Fellow