[slurm-users] Strange error, submission denied

Henkel henkel at uni-mainz.de
Wed Feb 20 10:59:46 UTC 2019

Hi Chris,
Hi Marcus,

Just want to understand the cause, too. I'll try to sum it up.

Chris you have

CPUs=80 Boards=1 SocketsPerBoard=2 CoresPerSocket=20 ThreadsPerCore=2

and

srun -C gpu -N 1 --ntasks-per-node=80 hostname

works.

Marcus has configured

CPUs=48  Sockets=4 CoresPerSocket=12 ThreadsPerCore=2
(slurmd -C says CPUs=96 Boards=1 SocketsPerBoard=4 CoresPerSocket=12
ThreadsPerCore=2)

and

CR_ONE_TASK_PER_CORE

and

srun -n 48 WORKS

srun -N 1 --ntasks-per-node=48 DOESN'T WORK.

I'm not sure if it's caused by CR_ONE_TASK_PER_CORE but at least that's
one of the major differences. I'm wondering if the effort to force using
only physical cores is doubled by removing the 48 Threads AND setting
CR_ONE_TAKS_PER_CORE. My impression is that with CR_ONE_TASK_PER_CORE
ntasks-per-node accounts for threads (you have set ThreadsPerCore=2),
hence only 24 may work but CR_ONE_TASK_PER_CORE doen't affect the
selection of 'cores only' with ntasks.

We don't use CR_ONE_TASK_PER_CORE but our users either set -c 2 or
--hint=nomultithread, which results in core-only.

You could also enforce this with a job-submit-plugin or lua-plugin.

The fact that CR_ONE_TASK_PER_CORE is described as "under changed" in
the public bugs and that there is a non-accessible bug about this
probably points to better not use this unless you have to.

Best,

Andreas

--
Dr. Andreas Henkel