[slurm-users] Strange error, submission denied

Marcus Wagner wagner at itc.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Feb 20 06:14:21 UTC 2019

I just made a little bit debugging, setting the debug level to debug5
during submission.

I submitted (or at least tried to) two jobs:

sbatch -n 48 --wrap hostname
got submitted, got jobid 199801

sbatch -N 1 --ntasks-per-node=48 --wrap hostname
submission denied, got jobid 199805

The only difference, found in the logs between these two jobs was:
199801:
debug3:    ntasks_per_node=-1 ntasks_per_socket=-1 ntasks_per_core=-1
199805:
debug3:    ntasks_per_node=48 ntasks_per_socket=-1 ntasks_per_core=-1

Nonetheless, slurm schedules 199801 onto one host:
sched: Allocate JobId=199801 NodeList=ncm0288 #CPUs=48 Partition=c18m

Best
Marcus

wagner at itc.rwth-aachen.de
www.itc.rwth-aachen.de