[slurm-users] NumNodes=1 NumCPUs=2 NumTasks=1 CPUs/Task=1 ???

Xiang Gao qasdfgtyuiop at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 17:10:54 UTC 2019

Hi All,

We configured slurm on a server with 8 GPU and 16 CPUs and want to use
slurm to scheduler for both CPU and GPU jobs. We observed an unexpected
behavior that, although there are 16 CPUs, slurm only schedule 8 jobs to
run even if there are jobs not asking any GPU. If I inspect detailed
information using `scontrol show job`, I see some strange thing on some job
that just ask for 1 CPU:

NumNodes=1 NumCPUs=2 NumTasks=1 CPUs/Task=1

If I understand these concepts correctly, as the number of nodes is 1,
number of tasks is 1, and number of cpus/task is 1, in principle there is
no way that the final number of CPUs is 2. I'm not sure if I misunderstand
the concepts, configure slurm wrongly, or this is a bug. So I come for help.

Some related config are:

# COMPUTE NODES
NodeName=moria CPUs=16 Boards=1 SocketsPerBoard=2 CoresPerSocket=4
ThreadsPerCore=2 RealMemory=120000
Gres=gpu:gtx1080ti:2,gpu:titanv:3,gpu:v100:1,gpu:gp100:2
State=UNKNOWN
PartitionName=queue Nodes=moria Default=YES MaxTime=INFINITE State=UP

# SCHEDULING
FastSchedule=1
SchedulerType=sched/backfill
GresTypes=gpu