[slurm-users] srun: job steps and generic resources

Kraus, Sebastian sebastian.kraus at tu-berlin.de
Fri Dec 13 11:44:18 UTC 2019

Dear all,
I am facing the following nasty problem.
I use to start interactive batch jobs via:
srun -ppartition -N1 -n4 --time=00:30:00 --mem=1G -Jjobname --pty /bin/bash -il
Then, explicitly starting a job step within such a session via:
srun -l hostname
works fine.
But, as soon as I add a generic resource  to the job allocation as with:
srun -ppartition -N1 -n4 --gres=gpu:1 --time=00:30:00 --mem=1G -Jjobname --pty /bin/bash -il
an explict job step lauched as above via:
srun -l hostname
infinitely stalls/blocks.
Hope, anyone out there able to explain me this behavior.

Thanks and best
Sebastian

Sebastian Kraus
Team IT am Institut für Chemie