[slurm-users] slurm cpu allocation

Ricardo Gregorio ricardo.gregorio at rothamsted.ac.uk
Thu Dec 12 10:11:10 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Wondering whether someone could help me with the following:

I am new and struggling a bit with some slurm concepts.

We are running an old version: 17.02.11 soon upgrading to 18.X
On our slurm.conf "SelectType=select/cons_res"
https://slurm.schedmd.com/cpu_management.html#Step1

21x compute nodes * 32 cores = 672
partition=standard

User was submitting a job and requesting 168CPUs. Basically the job was getting allocated 6x nodes [5*32 + 1*8]. Which means that 5 nodes fully committed to this single job. If he submitted 4x jobs, one would go pending because each job "required" 6x nodes.

Would it be possible to achieve, instead: 21x nodes providing 8x cores each, i.e., same total 168 and therefore still able to run the 4th job and maxing out the resources? Would it mean specifying -minnodes=21?

Or it does not make any sense what I am saying?

Thanks in advance
Ricardo

Rothamsted Research is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England at Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2JQ under the registration number 2393175 and a not for profit charity number 802038.