[slurm-users] NoInAddrAny and NodeAddr

Daniel Ahlin dah at pdc.kth.se
Mon Dec 9 17:26:08 UTC 2019

Hi,

We would like to bind slurm to a specific address and thought

NodeAddr=1.2.3.4
CommunicationParameters=NoInAddrAny

would be a good idea. However the manpage says:

"NoInAddrAny - Used to directly bind to the address of what the node
resolves to instead of  binding  messages  to  any  address on the node
which is the default. This option is for all daemons/clients except for
the slurmctld."

Upon inspection of the source (19.05.4) I found that this is indeed seem
to be the case. I.e. if you set this parameter the listening port is
bound to the address returned by resolving the result of gethostname.

Is this really the most useful way of implementing this? Would it not
make more sense for this option to bind to the NodeAddr if such is set?
At the very least, would it not be reasonable to have that use-case as well?

Best regards,
Daniel Ahlin
PDC, KTH