[slurm-users] Slurm Feature Poll

Christopher Benjamin Coffey Chris.Coffey at nau.edu
Wed Aug 28 15:13:14 UTC 2019

Hi Paul,

I submitted the poll - thanks! For bug #7609, while I'd be happier with a built in slurm solution, you may find that our jobscript archiver implementation would work nicely for you. It is very high-performing and has no effect on the scheduler, or db performance.

The solution is a multithreaded c++ program which starts 1 thread for each /var/spool/slurm/hash.N directory. Each thread subscribes to inotify filesystem change events and when a new job directory shows up under hash.N, the program copies the jobscript file, and environment file to a local archive directory, at the same time creating user based ACLs on the files/dirs for security. We then have a cron that moves the jobscripts to a NFS share from which users can grab their jobscripts if desired. For our model, we wanted only the admins, and the user that submitted the script to have access to the jobscripts. Thus the reason for the ACLs on the files/dirs.

We tried a slurmctld_prolog solution initially to archive jobs, but impacted scheduler performance dramatically.

We have been very happy with it. Check it out, if you find it useful let me know!

https://github.com/nauhpc/job_archive

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Best,
Chris

—
Christopher Coffey