[slurm-users] ticking time bomb? launching too many jobs in parallel

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Tue Aug 27 08:22:38 UTC 2019

Hi Guillaume,

The performance of the slurmctld server depends strongly on the server
hardware on which it is running!  This should be taken into account when
considering your question.

SchedMD recommends that the slurmctld server should have only a few, but
very fast CPU cores, in order to ensure the best responsiveness.

The file system for /var/spool/slurmctld/ should be mounted on the
fastest possible disks (SSD or NVMe if possible).

You should also read the Large Cluster Administration Guide at
https://slurm.schedmd.com/big_sys.html

Furthermore, it may perhaps be a good idea to have the MySQL database
server installed on a separate server so that it doesn't slow down the
slurmctld.

Best regards,
Ole