[slurm-users] Meeting Announcement / Partly Cloudy 2019 / October 18th
stuartk at alleninstitute.org
Wed Aug 21 13:58:09 UTC 2019
PARTLY-CLOUDY MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT
* One day meeting focused on the IT Infrastructure Challenges involved in supporting Research Activities as they slosh between On-Prem and Cloud
* Hosted in Seattle, WA USA
* The research community has lagged the commercial space in adopting the Cloud, for numerous reasons, one of which is that our business model does not fit well. In the Cloud, the more you use, the more you pay: works great for a retail business, where your Cloud costs soar as the winter holiday season approaches ... but so too do your revenues, so you don't mind. In research, utilization and costs are uncorrelated: even if your researchers get published in Nature/Science for their discovery ... well, the grant on which they are living doesn't change: revenue is fixed.
* Nevertheless, the Cloud is the most transformative shift in IT infrastructure in the last decade+ -- surely there are ways for the research community to utilize it?
* Join us at Partly-Cloudy to hear peers share what works / what doesn't, and to kick around your current challenges, as we all attempt to leverage this wide-ranging and far-flung tool called the Cloud.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the slurm-users