[slurm-users] Effect of PriorityMaxAge on job throughput

Michael Gutteridge michael.gutteridge at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 15:43:52 UTC 2019

(sorry, kind of fell asleep on you  there...)

I wouldn't expect backfill to be a problem since it shouldn't be starting
jobs that won't complete before the priority reservations start.  We allow
jobs to go over (overtimelimit) so in our case it can be a problem.

On one of our cloud clusters we had problems with large jobs getting
starved so we set "assoc_limit_stop" in the scheduler parameters- I think
for your config it would require removing "assoc_limit_continue" (we're on
Slurm 18 and _continue is the default, replaced by _stop if you want that
behavior).  However, there we use the builtin scheduler- I'd imagine this
would play heck with a fairshare/backfill cluster (like our on-campus)
though.  However, it is designed to prevent large-job starvation.

We'd also had some issues with fairshare hitting the limit pretty quickly-
basically it stopped being a useful factor in calculating priority- so we
set FairShareDampeningFactor to 5 to get a little more utility out of that.

I'd suggest looking at the output of sprio to see how your factors are
working in situ, particularly when you've got a stuck large job.  It may be
that the SMALL_RELATIVE_TO_TIME could be washing out the job size factor if
your larger jobs are also longer.

HTH.