[slurm-users] Extreme long db upgrade 16.05.6 -> 17.11.3

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Thu Apr 4 14:24:25 UTC 2019

On 4/4/19 4:07 am, Lech Nieroda wrote:

> Furthermore, upgrades shouldn’t skip more than one release, as that would lead to loss of state files and other important information, so users probably won’t upgrade from 17.02 to 19.05 directly. If they’d do that then yes, the patch would be applicable for 19.x, it’s just less likely to occur.

Upgrading more than 2 releases isn't supported, so I don't believe the
19.05 slurmdbd will have the code in it to upgrade tables from earlier
than 17.11.

People still on 17.02 and earlier will have to go to an intermediate
release to get their tables properly updated (and as you say, either
apply your patch or migrate their MySQL server to a box running a more
recent version of MySQL - it doesn't have to be on the same system
running slurmdbd).

All the best,
Chris
--