[slurm-users] Upgrading a slurm on a cluster, 17.02 --> 18.08

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Thu Sep 27 02:50:58 MDT 2018

On 09/27/2018 10:33 AM, Bjørn-Helge Mevik wrote:
> Baker D.J. <D.J.Baker at soton.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> I guess that the question that comes to mind is.. Is it a really big deal if
>> the slurmctld process is down whilst the slurmdbd is being upgraded?
>
> I tend to always stop slurmctld before upgrading slurmdbd, and have
> never noticed any problems with that.

That's actually a stated recommendation, read the detailed documentation
in https://slurm.schedmd.com/quickstart_admin.html#upgrade

It's OK to stop slurmctld for some minutes, but you may want to increase
some timeouts in slurm.conf.  See also my Wiki page
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/Slurm_installation#upgrade-slurmctld

/Ole