[slurm-users] Can frequent hold-release adversely affect slurm?

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sat Oct 20 01:21:06 MDT 2018

On Friday, 19 October 2018 3:59:17 AM AEDT Daniel Letai wrote:

> Do you have any recommendations, or might suggest a better approach to solve
> this problem?

Not sure it will help, but you can specify:

bf_max_job_array_resv=#

to tell Slurm how many array elements to do forward reservations for.  It
won't affect how many Slurm will start per cycle though so I suspect it's not
a useful feature.

I was hoping the Slurm "Workload Characterization Key" (WCKey) feature would
help, but it looks like it's only a way to label jobs for reporting purposes
rather than making scheduling decisions on them.

I'm out of ideas sorry!

All the best,
Chris