[slurm-users] Cgroups and swap with 18.08.1?

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Fri Oct 19 20:35:46 MDT 2018

On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 2:47:34 PM AEDT Bill Broadley wrote:

> AllowedSwapSpace=0
>
> So I expect jobs to not use swap.  Turns out if I run a 3GB ram process with
> sbatch --mem=1000 I just get a process that uses 1GB ram and 2GB of swap.

That's intended.  The manual page says:

       AllowedSwapSpace=<number>
              Constrain  the  job cgroup swap space to this percentage of the
              allocated memory.  The default value is 0, which means that
              RAM+Swap will  be  limited  to  AllowedRAMSpace.

You probably want this as well:

       MemorySwappiness=<number>
              Configure the kernel's priority for swapping out anonymous pages
              (such as program data) verses file cache pages for the job
              cgroup.  Valid  values are  between  0 and 100, inclusive. A
              value of 0 prevents the kernel from swapping out program data.

cheers!
Chris